Friday, April 6, 2012

trip to Machu Pichu

Since I had a break between my cycles in teaching, I decided that I should take advantage of the fact that I am closer to Machu Pichu from here than if I were at home & decided if not now, when.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 (Guayaquil)
Wanting to save some money, I took a 3 hour van ride to Guayaquil, the biggest city in Ecuador this morning.  Hugo offered to drive me to the van station, which was very kind of him.  The trip to Guayaquil took a little longer than normal because there was a bad accident on the windy road through Cajas National Park--a very large cow, I think a steer, apparently had wondered into the road and was killed when it was hit by a car, that was totaled and kind of hanging on a fence.  Aside from that and the fact that 1 of the passengers in the van got car sick, we got to Guayaquil in enough time for me to get my bearings before meeting a pre-arranged guide who showed me the city.  I was pleasantly surprised how clean, safe, and comfortable the city felt.  The warm, tropical weather was an added plus.  It's too bad that cities like Guayaquil get a bad reputation from whatever bad things that may have happened in the past and then have to face a long uphill battle to change people's view.



recycling cans!

iguanas in the park!
poor section of town, but beautiful colorful houses

the city is behind me with the Pacific Ocean in the distance
My guide was great.  There is so much that I would have missed if I hadn't had him to show me around.
Great seafood for dinner!

Sunday, March 25, 2012 (Lima, Peru)
Left very early this morning on an international flight to Lima, Peru.  Like the previous day, I got to Lima in time to get settled before I went on the Lima city tour.  Another good tour.  They divided the group into 2: 1 for the Spanish speakers and 1 for the English speakers.  I decided to go with the Spanish speakers.  I understood at least 85%, making me aware how much better my Spanish comprehension is.
I wish there were signs like this in Ecuador




funny, free entertainment in the main square
more funny entertainment

Monday, March 26, 2012 (Cusco, Peru)
Plane was delayed in Lima due to fog, but met a nice man from England, who was also waiting to go to Cusco.  He was about to start a month-long adventure volunteering at a foundation in the rainforest.  Maybe I'll do that next!

It was like deja vu, but in fact it was a real return to Cusco.  What a beautiful city!  Very tranquilo. I got oriented and immediately set off to see if I could find Mama Julia, with whom I had stayed when I was previously here 5 years ago.  I found her street, her neighborhood, but wasn't sure which house was hers.  Knocked anyway, but the woman who lived there was not her & did not know who or where she was.  Too bad.




Tuesday, March 27, 2012 (Sacred Valley)
Went on an all day tour today to the Sacred Valley.  Went to interesting markets, saw beautiful scenery, visited the towns of Pisac, Ollantaytambo, and others.  I am so impressed with the Incas, their amazing knowledge to architectures, medicine, weather, science, sustainability, and more.....  How they built their temples, houses, etc. is beyond me.

woman weaving, near Pisad




beautiful terrace countryside


cuy (guinea pig)

potatoes are PLENTIFUL in Perú


this balloon means this place is a bar!






there is a face in the mountain, to the left of the food storage area
I took the train to Aguas Calientes where I spent the night.  Everyone in my train car was from Italy.  I shouldn't have been, but was constantly surprised how many people from ALL over the world were there to see Machu Pichu.  I met people from Greece, Israel, England, Australia, France, China, to name a few......

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 (Machu Pichu)
Took a magnificent bus ride to Machu Pichu.  The terrain, the geography was breathtaking.
fast moving river in Aguas Calientes

Machu Pichu looks just like the photos, but it is a completely different experience to see it with one's own eyes!








I hiked to the Inca Bridge, which was scary because it was SO high up and the view below was WAY down!






Thursday, March 29, 2012 (Cusco again)
Back to Cusco.  Cusco's population is similar to that of Cuenca, 500,000, but it felt more tranquilo.   I visited Maximo Nivel, where I received my TEFL certificate 5 years ago.  Strange going back there.  Went on a city tour of Cusco.  My guide, the same one who I had for the Sacred Valley tour, was just as passionate and proud of the Incas as he previously had been.  We went today to ruins, temples, and other Incan sights in Sechsayguamán, Qnko, Puca Pucará, and Tambomachay.





Friday, March 30, 2012
Flew back to Lima.


Saturday, March 31, 2012 
Flew back to Guayaquil and took the van back to Cuenca.  

No comments:

Post a Comment