Sunday, April 15, 2012

interesting activities over the weekend

This past weekend was Foundación de Cuenca, celebrating the foundation of the city.  Lots going on the entire weekend.  I basically hung out with Esperanza, when I was prepping for my classes.  On Friday night we went, with one of her friends and the friend's son, to my 1st ever professional football (soccer) game.  It was Cuenca v. Loja.  Lots of fun.  Interesting.  Lots of screaming & yelling for Cuenca, who did not win.  Oh well.  Still a good time.
everyone was in red to support the Cuenca team!


On Saturday night, Esperanza & I went to a concert:  the Cuarteto de Saxofones, Estrella Consort.  It was a quartet of 4 grad students from Arizona State University who played in the Sucre Theater, a very nice concert in a lovely spot.  I didn't know until I read the program that Tempe, Arizona, where ASU is located, is the sister city of Cuenca.  (My niece is in grad school there!  Who would have known?)  And just like in the Berkshires, you always know some people in the audience.  I was surprised that I knew the people sitting behind me and another couple further back.  I guess after almost 7 months here I have more connections than I realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment