Sunday, April 15, 2012

new classes

I started teaching at my new school, CEDEI, on Tuesday, April 10.  Late in the afternoon of Monday, April 9th, all the teachers were given their schedules, class levels, and names of our students.  This left very little time to prepare.  


I teach 3 classes, which is 2 more than I have ever taught before.  This means prepping for 3 classes as each one is a different level.  I have a class from 3:00-4:15 Monday thru Thursday of 3 beginners, who are 17-20 years old.  Then I have a class from 4:30-5:30 Monday thru Thursday of 4 beginners, ages 8-9.  I have never taught children before nor beginners.  Every Saturday from 8:30 AM until 12:30 PM I teach a class of 8 students who are advanced beginners, probably in their late 20's to mid 30's and perhaps one is around 40.  Friday I don't teach, but last Friday I spent nearly the entire day prepping.  As always, the prepping is the hard part.  Being in the classroom is fun.


It is all new: the system, the paperwork, the expectations, the books, everything.  A bit daunting, but I will make it work.  My students (and I) will learn.


One funny thing happened in the children's class last Thursday.  One girl, about 8 years old, for no reason apparent to me, start humming (practically singing) Beethoven's 5th in class.  Totally cracked me up!


Another flattering event was that 1 of the schools where I had dropped off my resumé called to ask me to come in for an interview. Regardless of how many hours the position might have been for, I declined.  I have enough on my plate right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment