Friday, April 27, 2012

my neighborhood

Just like when I'm in the Berkshires, I try to walk an hour every day to keep in shape, for both my physical and mental health.  I try to vary my route, but have gotten into a routine, some of which includes steep inclines which is good to get the heart rate going.  The walk is never boring and often the sights are surprising.  Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me the other day when a man rode by me on his bike, wearing a backpack with a large goose in it!

Below are some recent photos from my daily walk:

seeing animals in the back of pick-up trucks is not uncommon
I think she's getting ready to take the pig out of the truck.


seeing animals being pulled (often against their will) along the street is also not unusual


we're all going somewhere.......

some of the houses near where I live

carrying almost anything on one's back or shoulders is common place
you can buy fish right on the street
Last Thursday I noticed a number of pick up trucks with pigs, lambs, cows, and even horses in them.  I commented about this to Esperanza, who replied that Thursday is (animal) market day, apparently the only one in Cuenca, which is almost in my back yard & I only just found out!.  I had no idea.  I changed my route this past Thursday & walked to the market, which is about 10 minutes from my house.  I could have been there all day.  It was fascinating.  Since I was there, I have learned that not only are the animals bought & sold there, but they are also killed there.  I will have to go back & see if I can find where that happens.  Curious...........

The fact is, I do not live where the tourists go.  My neighborhood is not what one might call pretty.  The beautiful colonial buildings are in the historic area, a 20 minute bus ride from my part of town.  However, there are NO gringos in my barrio (well there's one--me).  I like this.  I have come to the conclusion that for me it's better that I am living where I am & have to take a bus to get to work or to meet someone to go out to eat.  For me it's more authentic.

Below are a fraction of the many photos that I took on market day.

walking to the market

yes, those are chickens in this truck!

there was a long line of vehicles (trucks of many shapes & sizes) filled with animals waiting to get into the market


an overview of the market

many pigs, almost all squealing
Rio Machángara, that flows behind the market

more pigs!

and more pigs!!

sign indicating where the large & small animals should enter & exit


in addition to pigs, there were lambs





you can also buy sieves or mugs
all kinds of potatoes

chicks for sale

ropes to keep your animals from running away

harnesses




colorful ropes

plastic bowls for sale






need a ceramic pot?

baseball caps, anyone?

hungry?  you can buy food to eat on the spot

potatoes for sale out of a truck

a house very near the market

No comments:

Post a Comment