Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cuenca

Arrived without difficulty in Cuenca yesterday.  I am now living with a lovely family: a husband & wife & their 3 sons, ages 10, 12, 15.  Again I feel like I have a lot in common with them.  They like to eat healthy food, are active, interesting, and fun to be with.  Their home is beautiful & spacious.  I have a very large bedroom & my own bathroom, which is a luxury.  Still have not accomplished the art of figuring out how to have a hot shower.  Whether or not I ever will or whether or not that really is a reality is still to be determined.  ¡Asi es la vida!  (That's life.)  The school where I will be teaching is about a 15 minute walk from my house.  Not at all oriented to the city yet, but that will come with time.......  This photo is what my neighborhood looks like:
This is a photo of the school where I will be teaching:

                                                     
The cathedral, which is beautiful, in Centro Historico of Cuenca:


If you want pork for lunch, you might get a slice from this guy, who was right outside a restaurant, near when I will be teaching.

Men unloading bananas from a truck in downtown Cuenca:


Green bananas for sale, very near where I live:

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a wonderful host family. Tip and tail of the day seems to be the norm for ESL teaching everywhere in Latin America. Have a first week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the hot shower issue. Do they not have hot showers in Ecuador? None that you have access to?

    ReplyDelete