Friday, October 28, 2011

Nacional Parque de Cajas




Last Sunday I went with the other teacher in my program and 5 of his students to Nacional Parque de Cajas.  It was great to get out of the city.  Cajas is an immense national park where you can hike, fish, explore, etc.  We hiked the better part of the day.    It’s a very rugged area, dotted with lagoons & some tiny flowers, but lots of rocks.  The hardest part was that the higher altitude made breathing a bit difficult as we climbed.  For the most part, I was able keep up with a group that consisted of 1 person who may be in her early 40’s or so & 5 others whom I would guess were in their 20’s and younger.  I am so glad that I had my hiking poles & wore my hiking boots.  
After hiking we had a fabulous meal, one of the best, if not the best, one I’ve had since I arrived in Cuenca: Trout from one of the lagoons.  Very fresh.  I’ve always appreciated good food, but more so right now.  We also drank a typical liqueur, the name of which I have forgotten, which warmed our innards as it gets quite cold in the mountains
We ended up by hitching a ride in the back of a pick-up truck to return to Cuenca.  Suffice it to say that that was an interesting way to return, but we did get back safe and sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment