Tuesday, October 11, 2011

el clima (the weather)

Since I just took my 2nd 15 minute walk of the day to the school where I teach & I was observing the weather patterns, I thought I would take this opportunity to describe it in writing.  The main difference between the weather here in Cuenca & the weather in Quito is that it's a little cooler here.  Mornings are usually pleasantly cool (I'd guess in the mid 50's or so & often cloudy).  By mid to late morning the sun comes out & regardless of the temperature (it could be in the 70's) the air doesn't feel hot, but being on the equator, the sun feels like a hot iron.  Then by mid to late afternoon usually a very black, threatening cloud arrives, accompanied by nasty thunder.  The sky opens up & generally there's a significant downpour.  Yesterday, while walking to school it was raining hard & the sun was out, which resulted in one of the most beautiful, long-lasting rainbows I have ever seen.

I ALWAYS have my umbrella & rain jacket with me, along with sunscreen a hat & shirt that is UV resistant.  I must look like a pack animal, but in one day there are consistently 3 different weather patterns.  I remember from when I was here before that the weather was not one on my favorite things here.  That opinion has not changed, but this time I am getting used to it.  At least I won't be driving in snow & ice this winter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment