Friday, September 23, 2011

cultura

On Tuesday night I went with Nancy to a wonderful art opening exhibition at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador.  The artwork was very interesting--all of brujas (witches), mostly black and white, but some red too.  The way the work was displayed was as interesting as the work itself.  There were also 2 brief dance performances, which added to the exhibit.








Yesterday, with my fellow teachers-to-be, went to the Guayasamin Museum.  So powerful!  What a magnificent place.  This famous Ecuadorian artist has captured, through his artwork, so much pain that so many people have experienced, especially, but not limited to, indigenous people of Ecuador & Latin America and others who have suffered through racism, bigotry, discrimination.  It can be felt throughout the museum.  I understood most of what the guide said, which is progress, as I find that my ability to understand what is said en español is trailing behind my ever-increasing speaking skills, but I´ll get there eventualamente.




No comments:

Post a Comment