Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sarah and Rachel´s visit part II and more........


Seems like ages ago, but Sarah & I reconvened in Ingapirca on Dec. 26.  They hiked there and I took the bus.  They sort of stumbled upon me by chance.  They had a wonderful time on their hike and seemed to feel that they missed little when they were out of commission with their stomach ailments .  We went to the Incan ruins in Ingapirca, which were very interesting.




Took the bus on Dec. 27 to Cuenca and they got to see where I live.

 In fact, my host family, as planned, had the 3 of us over for dinner that night.  I am happy to report that Sarah and Rachel were both very favorably impressed with Cuenca.



On December 28, Rachel´s birthday, we went to Giron, to hike to the waterfalls there.  We got a late start, which limited us to only climbing to 1 of the 3 waterfalls.  The rain didn´t help either, but it was pretty.


































 Rachel chose, for her birthday, to eat at an Indian restaurant.  We invited friends with whom we had eaten out in Riobamba.  A nice time.  On Dec. 29 we went to the Banco Central Museo, saw more ruins, walked around, were tourists, etc.  We returned to Quito on Dec. 30.  Rachel immediately took off for her additional week of hiking on her own.  Sarah & I had a nice afternoon.  We walked to Mariscal, aka Gringolandia, had a drink & met Nancy for dinner.


I had already said so long to Rachel & had to do the same hasta luego to Sarah early in the morning of Dec. 31 as I was going off to the jungle.  Sarah did her own thing that day & celebrated the New Year with Nancy.

All over the country for many days before New Years Eve, they sell masks and large dolls, like asexual mannequins--on practically every street corner & in many shops.  People dress up their ´dolls´ to remember people from the previous year (some of the dolls are of the current president [President Correa or President Obama]) & then burn them in the streets as a way of ending the old year.



I missed this tradition as I was in the jungle, but understand that Sarah witnessed this in Quito.  

I was at a fabulous lodge in the rainforest (Arajuno Jungle Lodge) that I had to get to by boat as there´s no other way to get there.

Was there with friends & 1 young couple.  We were in bed by about 10 PM on New Years Eve, but it was great starting the New Year in the jungle.  I love it there.  The lodge owner, Tom Larson said ¨If the Galapagos Islands are known as the living laboratory of evolution, then the Amazon Rainforest must be the boiling pot of evolution.¨ I love that quote.  He is so right.  The rainforest fascinates me as all the living organisms-plants and animals- are interdependent and live in such harmony with each other.  It is a very special place.  On New Years Day we hiked, actually bush whacked (Tom had a machete), our way through the jungle and saw the amazing flora and fauna that grow there.  The hike was a challenge as it rained (rainforest, so to be expected!), was slippery, steep, and of course hot & humid.




The next day, January 2, we went to a place where injured animals, some of whom are endangered species, are kept to recover from injuries (many from people) and hopefully re-enter their native habitats, but many stay there as they cannot or do not know how to live on their own.  In the afternoon we tubed down the river, which was more work than I expected it to be, but still fun. 

And today, January 3, I am back in Quito, at Nancy´s house.  Tomorrow I return to Cuenca & then am back to teaching a new cycle.  This has been an unbelievable holiday season.  The best gift of all was the time that I spent with my daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment