Thursday, January 5, 2012

Back in Cuenca & a bit more about the rainforest

Returned to Cuenca last night without difficulty.  I might even be able to say that I have come home!  Words I never thought I would be capable of saying.  So far no new students have signed up for my class (I will now be teaching Avanzado I [Advanced I]) that starts on Monday, but there is still time.  Hopefully my former students will come back, but I would like to have more students.

I neglected to say when writing about the Amazon Rainforest, especially for my friends & family members who don't like bugs, that the Rainforest is filled with critters big & small.  I slept with a mosquito net.  One time when I got up in the middle of the night, I saw a large, white-ish lizard climbing the wall of the room where I was sleeping.  When I got back to bed I could hear it slogging around, which was a bit nerve-wracking.  You just have to ignore the insects, spiders, large beetles, thousands of ants--large & small, etc.  The leaf-cutter ants are amazing.  I've seen them before, but find then to be just as fascinating as the first time.  They walk in long lines, almost single file, each one carrying a large piece of a leaf on its back.  It's like watching a green moving trail as they go through the jungle.  And the army ants are a bit scary.  They also travel in a line, like a group of soldiers going to battle.  Most of these little creatures are not interested in people, but I would never want to directly confront them to see what they might do if they felt threatened.

No comments:

Post a Comment