Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Eve


Went into Centro Historico in Cuenca to see the parade that always takes place on December 24.  It was one of the best parades I’ve ever been to--better than the Pittsfield July 4th parade!  I couldn’t take my eyes off the authentic, traditional clothing that everyone wore.  Magnificent colors, wonderful details.  Increible!  The parade was mostly of children & many, both children and adults, danced to traditional music, played on traditional instruments.  A feast for my eyes and ears.





Around 3:00, one of my students picked me up and brought me to her house, where her family was preparing a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner.  Food was great and the company was so much fun to be with.  In total, there were 15 family members, plus me. Spending the evening with this wonderful family is the kind of experience that makes me so happy to be here.  Everyone sat around and truly enjoyed one another.  The little children were adorable.  I don’t know where the guitar came from, but various men of the group played it and everyone sang along.  This was another one of those times when I wanted to pinch myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment