Sunday, May 6, 2012

making quimbolitos

Last Sunday, April 29th, I went with Esperanza to one of her sisters' homes, where I met more of her family.  We went out to buy ingredients to make quimbolitos, and returned to make them, which was quite the process.  I'm sure one person could do it by herself, but there were 5 of us:  Esperanza, her sister, her sister's 2 daughters, and me.  The ingredients included flour (several different kinds), eggs, cheese, raisins.  All but the raisins were mixed together into kind of a heavy, dense mash.  Then we placed several tablespoons full onto an hoja de achira, which is a very large leaf.  Before wrapping it up in the leaf, we placed 2 raisins on each blob, to give it a little sweetness.  They're then steamed for ~15 minutes.  Frankly, I don't think they have much taste, but it was a fun, good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment