Sunday, March 18, 2012

Passover Seder

I know that Passover is coming up & I thought it would be nice to have a Seder, if I could pull it off.  I met a woman from Israel a few months ago & saw her again last week, so asked her what she was doing for Passover.  At that point in time she had no plans & didn't seem to know any or many other Jewish people.  We talked about how to proceed & decided that I would post on Gringo Tree, a website/email communication that comes out several times a day with posts for the local Gringos regarding things that are going on in the Cuenca area & beyond.  The request for information re people's interest in having a Seder went out on Friday night & by midday Saturday I had received responses from about 10 people, totaling 13 people who want to participate in the Seder.  I am still in shock about the number of responses.  In addition, I heard from 2 people who are not yet living here, but are contemplating moving here.  It seems that they think that I am the resident expert on all things Jewish in Cuenca as they have flooded me with questions.  I do not know the answers, but in addition to them I heard from a former Peace Corps volunteer who was here in the late 60s who has a wealth of knowledge about the Jewish community in Ecuador in general & in Cuenca more specifically. As a result, I have learned a lot & have forwarded some of his information to those who have asked about the history of the Jews in Cuenca & Ecuador.

The end result of all of this is that we will be having a Seder at my Israeli friend's house on the 2nd night of Passover.  One person said that he thinks he can get matzoh & matzoh meal emailed to him before Passover.  Another person has 10 Haggadahs, a matzoh cover & a Seder plate.  My friend & I will decide who will bring what.  We're on!!  This will be a Passover to remember & I must say that I am very pleased with myself for making this happen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment