Wednesday, March 7, 2012

one more thing on Saraguro & more......

I forgot to say that one of my biggest highlights in Saraguro was that I met a local woman, who of course was dressed in traditional clothing, when I was out walking Sunday morning.  We exchanged buenas dias and then began talking.  She spoke a little English & was delighted to hear that I am teaching English here. Before I knew it, she asked if we could correspond via email & gave me her email address.  When I got home Sunday night there was an email waiting for me from her!

Today I again went out with my friend (& tour guide), Hugo.  We're kind of clicking.  I think I am really helping him with his English & I love getting all the insights & details about the culture, historical sights, geographical info., etc. from him.  We're a good match!  Today we went to the Museo at Banco Central.  We walked around the ruins and the beautifully landscaped grounds & I learned things that I didn't know even though I had been there 2 times before, but without a guide.  We also often get some kind of food treat.  This time we got a sanduche de mono, a monkey sandwich, a name that it got in Guayaquil.  It usually is made of either be from pork or turkey, not monkey!

And yesterday I tutored English to the 12 year old daughter of a friend of my host family.  This girl, Camelia, goes to a bi-lingual school and supposedly needs help with her English.  I say supposedly because I think her English is quite good, in fact better than a number of my students who are 2x her age.  I helped her with some homework & errors from a test, but they were minimal.  Her social studies class is entirely in English.  She is comfortable speaking English, catches on quickly, and is a delight.  We will be meeting again tomorrow.  I will have to set limits with the frequency that we meet & the length of each session because I think that she & her father would like us to meet more than will be realistic with my time demands.

Last, but not least, I continue to be SO impressed with my students.  Their insight, worldliness, general knowledge never ceases to amaze me.  I only hope that I am meeting their expectations.  I work VERY hard & spend HOURS preparing......

No comments:

Post a Comment